Maytor McKinley

This and that about my side of the Maytor H. McKinley clan.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mount Holly, North Carolina, United States

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

August 9 - Day - Ashland, WI

Wednesday
After an uneventful drive from Hancock, I arrived in Ashland in the early afternoon, and headed directly to the cemeteries. After checking on the Meyer side, I drove to the Catholic Cemetery across the street.

I first stopped at the Hoppenyan monument that I had seen on my last trip. After some investigation, I realized that I was looking at the Edward J. section of the family (Barney's son). Buried there are his wife, Kathryn M., his son, James, and James' wife, Martha. There is also a grave for Ann Frances (1900-1923); she must be a daughter who has not shown up in previous research. James and Martha are the direct link, it appears, to the Hoppenyans who live in Duluth and other areas of Minnesota.

While checking on my grandmother's grave (Eleanore - MH's first wife) and that of her parents, I noticed in the next section over a "Sommers" monument. Thinking that coincidence in a small town was unlikely, I ventured over and found that this was the family plot of MH's second wife, Eleanor Lynn Sommers (although she is not buried there).

The Sommers' plot is the final resting place for Eleanor's parents Charles H. (1887 - 1973) and Emma (1885 - 1935), and there son Carl Robert (previously referred to in this blog as Robert, 1921 - 1987). Also in this section were the graves of Mary Collins (1899 - 1973) and John Collins (1900 - 1983). Given their location and the type of material used for their headstones, it appears that Mary is a daughter of Charles and Emma. I will research this point more at a later date.

Since I had not found Barney and Mary's plot, I decided to roam a bit. Eventually I saw their very large crucifix with the family name. At this plot, the following Hoppenyan's are buried: Bernhard "Barney" (1833 - 1914), Mary B. "Healy" (1844 - 1928), a previously undiscovered daughter, Frances (1884 - 1948), a previously undiscovered daughter Nellie (1882 - 1930); Nellie was marrie to John J. Gallagher (1880 - 1940) who is buried in this same section. John and Nellie appear to have had a sad life as there are three additional markers that appear to be the names of their children who either died as infants or early in life: Eleanor (1912), Bernardine (1914) and Ellen (1919). Also in this section is Barney's son, Bernard (no "h" in the first name, 1879 - 1948) and his wife, Alma M. (1888 - 1955).

Directly across the little road in the cemetery is the final resting place of more Hoppenyan's: Barney's son, Thomas B. (1869 - 1939) and his wife, Ann Edna (1872 - 1946).

I took several pictures, and will include them in a post after they are developed upon my return. This includes pictures of all of the grave markers so that those who are interested may select and download the ones of particular interest to them.

In case you ever want to visit these plots, the following is a list of the locations based on their proximity to "street" names in the cemetery:

1) McGeehan - the southeast corner of Second Street and St. Mark;

2) Sommers - Between St. Matthew and St. Luke on the south side of Second Street;

3) Barney and Mary Hoppenyan - the southeast corner of Second Street and St.Anthony; his son Thomas and wife Ann are directly across the road to the west;

4) Edward J. Hoppenyan (Barney's son) - is just west of First Street south of the main entrance; enter, make an immediate left and the site will be on your right before you get to St. Mark (I forgot to write down the cross street).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Digits Free Counter