Maytor McKinley

This and that about my side of the Maytor H. McKinley clan.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mount Holly, North Carolina, United States

Friday, June 02, 2006

And what about "Maytor?"

I, my siblings and my father as well, always thought that the name "Maytor" was of Dutch or Germanic origin and could be traced, if anyone ever bothered, directly up the Hoppenyan family line.

We were all wrong.

Maytor can be traced back in the family, but it eventually takes a maternal turn and ends up in IRELAND!

My grandfather, Maytor H. McKinley, was born Maytor Charles Hoppenyan. His father's name, according to U.S. Census records, was Mather Hoppenyan. I assumed that Maytor was either simply a translated version or that the census taker made a mistake. Upon further digging, I found that MH/MC's father's maternal grandfather (or MH/MC's great grandfather) was named Maytor Healey (and he also had a son named Maytor).

Thus both the names "Maytor" and "McKinley" have Irish roots (although the McKinley may, arguably, have Scots-Irish connections). "Maytor" may be traceable to Dutch-Germanic roots in theory, but I cannot find any reliable information to date that would confirm that.

BTW: Maytor Healy was born in Ireland in 1817.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Of interest? When I was in Scotland at St. Andrews riding in one of the R&A's bd?members Brody Lennox (sp?) Jaguar he wanted to know my "ancestory" when I mentioned Maytor he said Oh that's Irish. One of his Irish cousins was Irish. This was in 86.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Digits Free Counter